Monday, December 31, 2012

5 important lessons from 2012

As we wrap up another year, I wanted to share with you 5 important lessons I've learned this year.  It's interesting to write on a blog and be able to go back and reflect on how you were feeling earlier in the year.  But, after going through my yearly posts, these are the 5 lessons I'm choosing that stick out to me.

1. Life is precious.  It's also fragile and temporary.  You never know how long you're going to have with someone.  I've had several friends lose their children this year.  My cousins lost their father when my uncle died.  And another family member had a baby who underwent open heart surgery when only just days old.  I hope that in 2013 we spend more time with the ones we love.

2. Even though you're doing your best, and what you think is right, people will still say mean things about you.  My feelings are still a little hurt by that group of people who follow the Skeptical OB.  Our family went through a real tragedy when Sadie was born, and they just offered it up for ridicule.  There was no reverence for our suffering and our grief, or for the grief of others who were highlighted on that blog.  In 2013, I hope that we all spend a little less time judging, and more time offering support and condolences where needed.

3. Healing does come.  I think this was the year I finally accepted what happened to our family and was able to heal from it and move on.  I have found my place in the special needs community, and I have found healing through delivering a child who is healthy and typically developing.  In 2013, I hope we all find our place in the world and can start living our lives looking forward to the future instead of dwelling in the past.

4. Even the impossible is possible.  We got Sadie a new wheelchair.  We were able to buy a new van.  The handsplints have worked to open those fists.  We had a baby who is healthy and strong.  Sadie started school before she turned 3.  I hope that in 2013 we all remember to keep asking and keep pursuing the things we want and need.

5. Children are amazing.  We have so many friends that have so many different special needs.  I spotlighted only a few, but each and everyone is precious and amazing for what they've overcome, and what they continue to fight against each day.  Our lives are meaningful, even if we are fully dependent on someone else in order to live them.  In 2013, please remember to cherish every moment your child gives you, whether they're a typical child or they have special needs.  Tell them "I love you" often, and hold them tight each day. Life is precious and you never know how long you have with them.

Wishing everyone a happy and safe new year!!  See ya in 2013!!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing your joys...and your pain...in this journey we call life! Much happiness to you in 2013!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. found your blog from the feminist breeder. this seemed like a good post to comment on. i may come back and read your birth story but its not really that important. i don't need to read it. you did nothing wrong. i want to complement you on raising a beautiful little girl. for becoming stronger than you thought possible and doing what needed to be done. your family is adorable and i wish you all the happiness possible.

    ReplyDelete