Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Visiting San Antonio

Of course the first place we had to go in San Antonio was the Alamo.  And like I said before, I knew barely anything about Texas before we came.  I understood that the story of what happened at the Alamo was one of the little guy defeated the masses, but I didn't understand why it was so important.  I got some education while in San Antonio!  (however, I still don't totally understand it well enough that I could recount the events to you here)

We went fairly early in the day, so it wasn't totally hot yet.  And inside the chapel (behind us in the picture) is air conditioned.  However, most of the Alamo is courtyard, which was still pretty pleasant in the shade.

We took a break to feed Sadie out in the courtyard in the shade.  I remember thinking that it was actually quite pleasant out there... but it got hotter as the day went on!

After we left the Alamo, we walked down to the River Walk.  It was a little cooler down there, much more scenic, but kind of a pain with a wheelchair.  We found an elevator and got ourselves down, and then it was time to find somewhere for lunch.  We were hungry and weren't familiar with the River Walk, so we agreed to the first Mexican restaurant we came to... unfortunately it had stairs.  Apparently, all the buildings on the River Walk are historic, so they don't have to comply with ADA.  It wasn't too many stairs though, and we were hungry, so I carried Sadie while Pam and Brian carried the wheelchair.

The next day, when we went back down to the River Walk looking for lunch, we ended up at the Rainforest Cafe (not our first choice since it is a chain restaurant) only because they had a ramp and an elevator.  Win for the Rainforest Cafe!

While down on the River Walk, we decided we should do a little boat tour.  It was good timing because Sadie was feeling like she needed to be held (by Mama, of course), so we got to sit for a while and learn a little about the area.  Plus it was a nice way to see the whole River Walk without walking it...which we did anyway.  More on that later.

When we were done with our tour, we thought it was about time to start heading back to the car (which we parked at the mall at one end of the River Walk).  Since the mall happened to be one of the last things we saw on our boat tour, we thought we knew right where we were going.  

But first we had to stop at the Chocolate Factory and buy some yummies.  It just isn't a vacation without some fudge!!

Even though Brian didn't say anything about me buying chocolate (secretly he wanted some too...I shared), I could tell he didn't really want to stop.  But I WORKED for those chocolates, let me tell you!!

We ended up not knowing as well as we thought where we were on the River Walk and probably ended up walking 2+ extra miles out of our way.  Brian, who thought it was a better idea to walk the River Walk than take the boat tour, got his way because we saw THE.WHOLE.THING!!

We finally made it back to the car with achy feet and sweaty everything.  We were tired and ready for that chocolate!  San Antonio was nice.  We came back and spent some time at the mall the next day, then we went to the zoo the day after that.  There were more things we could have done had it not been 107 degrees outside, because most of their tourist activities were outdoors.  I was sad that we didn't get to visit Morgan's Wonderland (the special needs theme park) or Sea World...but it was pretty miserable and I didn't want to be in the heat anymore than anybody else!!

Maybe someday we'll go back when it's not so hot and we'll get to do more things.

No comments:

Post a Comment