Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

We've been watching a lot of Sesame Street lately (okay, for over a year...) and this video made me smile.  I thought it was a good Mother's Day post.





Dear Sadie,

You are almost 2 and a half on this Mother's Day and it's the first time you "made" me a Mother's Day gift.  It's so sweet, even though I know you have no idea what is written on the back or what it even means, I know in my heart that you feel that way about me.


Even though you can't talk I know how much you love me, I can tell when your vision catches me walking across the room and you smile.  I can tell when I go to get you out of bed in the morning and you giggle.  I can tell when you're sad and I hold you and you calm down.  You are the sweetest little girl and you've become such a happy kid.

I also know that I'm a good mom.  Not because people tell me, but because I see it on your face.  You are well fed.  You feel good.  You are clean.  And I work hard to get you the therapy and the equipment you need.  I know you are probably not even aware of everything I do for you, but I work hard to make sure you're well taken care of, that your schedules and routines are followed by whomever is taking care of you, and that you're fed and comfortable and happy.

You're an easy child right now (relatively speaking) because you're so easy to please.  Giving you some toys that make noise, or playing a musical instrument with you lights up your whole face.  You don't walk or crawl so I don't have to chase you around or make sure you're not eating the cat food.  And you can't talk, so you don't really throw fits the way a normal 2 year old would.  Instead you are learning to tell me (in your own way) to stop combing your tangly hair because it hurts, or that you aren't ready to get out of the bathtub yet, without losing control and getting too upset.

You are beautiful, especially that smile.  Everybody knows it.  I used to think I was biased because I thought you were so pretty, but now I realize that your beauty overshadows your disability.  Even strangers, when we go out in public, fail to realize you're sitting in a wheelchair because all they seem to notice is your red curly hair and your long long eyelashes.  Your beauty is so unique, and I know you love the attention you get from it.  As you get older, more people will start to notice the beauty that is on the inside, so don't forget that your red hair and long eyelashes don't mean you are allowed to be a jerk.

Sadie, you are my first-born child.  You made me a Mommy.  You are my miracle and my angel from Heaven.  I love you so much and I will do anything and everything for the rest of your life to make sure you are safe and your needs are met.  You bring me so much joy.  I can't wait for you to start going to school and making friends and sharing that joy with others you meet and interact with everyday.  I can't wait for you to be a big sister, you have so much to teach your younger brother or sister.  This child growing in my tummy has no idea how lucky they are to be born into our family.

I love you so much.  I love you more than chocolate and popsicles and reading a good book.  Happy Mother's Day 2012.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment