Sunday, January 2, 2011

A New Way to Bounce

We found a crack in the bouncy chair.
I'll let that settle in for a moment.

...


This means it's just a matter of time until we are at that crossroad again: do we buy another bouncy chair or search for an alternative? This one was supposed to be transitional, only a fall-back while we learn a new way to stimulate her vestibular. But she hates the swing we bought. I think it's going to have to be like learning to drive a stick shift...you're not gonna really do it until it's your only option.

However, tonight the bouncy chair wasn't doing it for her, actually nothing was. So, I sat on the big yoga ball with Sadie on my lap and bounced that way. Soon she calmed down and I was able to put the paci in her mouth and bounce her to sleep. I got this idea from my littlest brother, who successfully put Sadie back to sleep the other day while bouncing on the ball.



The goods of this: she'll have quite a while to grow out of it. Hopefully in a couple of years she'll be able to do it herself.

The bads of this: whoever is bouncing her can't really do anything else until she falls asleep.

Now I know what to ask when interviewing people for respite care: "How do you feel about strengthening your core while you're here?"

No comments:

Post a Comment